About Me

I'm creamy and flavorful. I go well with raspberries. I plan to keep getting more delightful with age, so stick around! I like to travel, both physically and in my own head. I buy a lot of books just because I like the way they look and smell. If "old paper" was a glade scent, I'd plug them in all over my house. Ummm... I can lick my elbow. If you're reading this, you've probably already had the pleasure of witnessing it. Also, I love dishwashers.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Metathesiophobia

Try a thing you haven't done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time to figure out whether you like it or not. 
-Virgil Thomson


Welcome to my first blog post. I might as well come right out and tell you all that I suffer from metathesiophobia. It means "fear of changes." All changes, really. For example, I discovered earlier this week that two familiar restaurants have closed and been replaced by something else. This was briefly disturbing to me. I hardly ate at either of them, but I appreciated that they were there. It was a difficult minute and a half.

There have been a lot of changes in my life recently - big and small; welcome and unwelcome. Even the more pleasant changes are hard for me to get used to.  An associate of mine at The New Mexico Breeze used the above quote in his column, and it made an impression on me. I'm trying to apply it to my fear of change. I believe I'm somewhere between the first and second steps. I am getting over my fear of change, and perhaps someday, I'll even learn to do it gracefully. As to the third stage... well, the jury is still out on that one.

Today is a big day for me. First because, as you may have noticed, I am writing my very first blog entry, after years of toying with the idea. Starting a blog can be a frightening ordeal. What if no one reads it? Or worse - what if lots of people read it?! Some will judge me based on.... my passion for saturated fats and dishwashers, perhaps? Others will scoff at me for blogging at all, because it seems to have become a trend. And yet a third party may simply find me boring. Then again, maybe boring is a nice change from the constant pressure of their fast-paced, adventure-filled lives?

The real reason today was a big day was that I joined a church. I am officially a covenant member at Desert Springs Church. This decision has been in the works for a very, very long time. There are too many fears to count, all wrapped up in this one decision. For 2 years, I've been a shadow there, sneaking in and out through the side door. I was in what my pastor calls a "hide and heal season."  Now, I'm expected to get involved somehow, meet people and speak to them in complete sentences, and be accountable to a group of people... generally act like a human being. And I must do all of this without the comfort of my family by my side.  There is a voice in my head that is still terrified, but she's the one who hates us and doesn't want us to be happy. We're trying not to talk to her anymore.  The rest of me knows that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be, and I'm excited to see where these changes will bring me.

4 comments:

  1. PS I love that quote! I have serious issues with change as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should go to church with you Sunday. You know, God could have plans to speak through you! You mentioned reading Piper and the conviction that comes of realizing one is living without Joy. Well, you just mentioned it, and I did not read anything, but I was Convicted as I thought on this a few days. All the stupid things I love that are not important, all the distractions, all the false attachments, all the attempts at figuring things out to have control, all the SIN that is so NORMAL to someone like me,even after knowing the Lord for 40 years, even though, by the grace of God I did not bog down in this or that false teaching. It is like I will be carnal until I draw near to the Lord in death, or through suffering of some other kind. It is serious, but this is no guilt trip, so I am praising the Lord with a cheerful heart.
    Blessings from Dad and Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started a blog myself and I would have to say I am equally as terrified to have no one read my blog as to have everyone read my blog! What a silly place to be but I am relieved to hear that you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete